NEWS NEWS AND MORE NEWS I am going to get all of my memories down, before I forget what I remember!. . . . quote from Stanley Forman


Immobilizer Prison Or Is It Just Me

The miss­ing ten­don is the blank space above the knee (bot­tom of image). After surgery it was reat­tached but I have no inten­tion of vol­un­teer­ing for another MRI or as I call a ride in a casket.

It began on a great Sun­day, no Patri­ots game to watch till Mon­day night, time to get our Christ­mas tree and maybe if it was dry enough set it up in the house.  Big plans that all went to an immobilizer.

The tree was up and lots of our dec­o­ra­tions were brought out for dec­o­rat­ing the house. My task was to get the extended spout water can.  An easy task, check both sheds and find it. It was in the back shed and I walked up the lit­tle ramp, no more than 2 feet high and almost level as it is extended so the slop is not that steep.

Com­ing back down I slipped, tried to catch my bal­ance, put my instincts in place and tried to brake myself.  Prob­lem is it was like rac­ing down the street on your bike, press­ing the front brakes and going over the han­dle­bars. I don’t have han­dle­bars so instead my left quad ten­don snapped send­ing over and out in excru­ci­at­ing pain rav­aging through my body.

It was the worst pain I have ever had and once before I had a sim­i­lar inci­dent but that time it was an Achilles ten­don. This time I went down scream­ing yelling for help but of course it is win­ter and the win­dows and doors were shut and my fam­ily could not hear me. After what seemed like a long time I thought I was hav­ing a heart attack and the pain con­tin­ued.  I reached for my cell phone in my sweat­pants pocket and for once I did not have it with me. I carry it every­where and if it were water­proof I would have it in the shower with me.

Luck­ily my neigh­bors Gerda and Don Pasquarello did hear me. Don an emer­gency room doc­tor at Bev­erly Hos­pi­tal hopped over a fence and checked to see if I was hav­ing a heart attack.  He was relieved to hear it was only my leg as he thought he was about to start chest compressions.

After surgery last Tues­day I am on crutches and in an immo­bi­lizer for at least a month, then I go to a smaller brace, phys­i­cal ther­apy and hope­fully full repair in the next few months.

Surgery is not new to me as I had my ton­sils out when I was around two in my house and was oper­ated on in a high chair. I can still remem­ber the group of med­ical peo­ple com­ing in the house, me in my paja­mas and then one of them open­ing a can and telling me to take a whiff.  I screamed, jumped up and down and then woke up blow­ing bub­bles. The only thing I could eat was ice cream for sev­eral weeks.

My asso­ci­a­tion with phys­i­cal pain began when I was a lit­tle kid as my appen­dix would kick up every once in a while and I would have severe stom­ach pains.  My stom­ach pain went away after I had emer­gency surgery at age 14, four days before my fresh­man prom. My date came by to see me in the hos­pi­tal as another friend of ours date got sick so those two got together.

The clos­est I ever came to being a jock was when I went to a cou­ple of prac­tices for the fresh­man foot­ball team. I was jog­ging around the field when stepped in a hole and cracked a bone in my ankle. That big NFL con­tract was left on the field at the Garfield Junior High in Revere.

From there is was sort of clear sail­ing till 1978 when I was play­ing rac­quet­ball and some­thing snapped. I went down and almost out while my friend John Premack mas­saged the area and the severe pain sub­sided.  I spent most of the Bliz­zard of 78 in a full cast, with a bent  right leg and I used crutches to get around for 8 weeks then a walk­ing cast for 5 weeks.  Only thing funny about that is I was in my walk­ing cast on route 93 for a tanker explo­sion when the cast got wet from the foam and I had to go to the sur­geon to have it rebuilt. He was not happy but he admired my determination.

I got out in the bliz­zard one night as Chip Hoar the pub­lic rela­tions per­son for his National Guard unit came to my house to take me and my cam­era out to see the dam­age.  Of course I was like dead weight and they had to drag me through the snow to put me in the back of the army truck and take me around. We went to Hull to see the dam­age on Nan­tas­ket Beach then we went to a three-alarm fire on Dorch­ester Avenue in Boston.  I had brought a portable scan­ner with me so we knew more than we were assigned to know.

After that there was 4 her­nias, wis­dom teeth and of course some other fool­ish issues your body develops.

I am so lucky as I have my awe­some wife Deb­bie tak­ing care of me with the help of my phys­i­cal ther­apy daugh­ter Molly watch­ing every step I take and my RN daugh­ter Han­nah help­ing me with my medication.

A reminder to my read­ers, don’t go any­where with­out your phone. You don’t have to answer it but it will be there in case of an emergency.

No, I am not about to deliver the old Record American/Sunday Adver­tiser. It is the per­fect carry all for some­one who can carry noth­ing. Thanks to my col­league Steve Carro for find­ing it.

Thank­fully all of my surg­eries and ill­nesses have only been incon­ve­niences and I will be back out there chas­ing news or what­ever else this old body can do next year and hope­fully for many more to come.









Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

No trackbacks yet.